Thursday, September 13, 2012

happy birthday MOM!!!

Mommio, thinking so much about you today! <3
  •          Were introduced to our first French film, in Spanish, last night after supper. Sandra couldn’t wait to watch it with us—she hates French films but has fallen in love with this one, called Amelie. Absolutely loved it. We giggled the whole way through (at least we girls did) and I kind of remember tearing up at the end…
  •          Elementary schools all over Spain started on Monday! Little niños with colorful backpacks are all over the sidewalks in the mornings now, hand in hand with a mámi or pápi. It was really interesting to learn that fathers are more hands-on with their children throughout childhood. It’s true that more often than not I see the father with a child—spending time at the park, teaching his daughter how to ride a bike, pushing the baby in the stoller, kicking a rock around the sidewalk with his son (random cute observation yesterday).
  •          Speaking of los ninos, I had the privilege of listening to a charming chorus of those plastic recorders outside our balcony this week. I so remember the first day my own 5th grade class received recorders…so can our mothers.
  •          I finally gave in to my first American indulgence while waiting for Zach to finish classes one morning: Dunkin Donuts. Felt a little guilty for not trying yet a new café of hundreds dotting the pretty cobblestone streets of central Sevilla, but am glad I did because I there encountered the happy waitress who proved to me that there do exist Spaniards who believe in service with a smile:) I also found some friends from school and we watched cat videos on YouTube for awhile… Dunkin Donuts was the perfect choice.
  •          Sandra and Juan Lu took us shopping tonight! We got to ride in their car and venture about 20 minutes away to one of the best locations for inexpensive but superguay (super awesome) clothing. They needed some things but all Zachary and I came home with was a bottle of Coke and a thankfulness for having a host couple who thinks we’re cool enough to be seen with out in public:) Love them!
  •          After lunch this afternoon, we got into a conversation about our childhoods. Sandra and Juan Lu proceeded to tell us many funny stories about past injuries, what kind of mischief they got into as kids, how they used to interact with their siblings, etc. Sandra even pulled out one of her diaries from when she was 12 and read us some entries! We laughed so hard. One night they showed us a YouTube clip of the video series they used to watch in school when they were little to help them learn English. It is so very amusing and you should definitely watch it here:
                         
  •          We have two new guests in the house this week: 18 year olds from Austria have joined our little family! They are very nice and polite and don’t speak much Spanish. They did bring some of that wonderful chocolate Mozart candy Zach and I experienced when we were in Salzburg a couple years ago, so they get points for that.
  •           Got to skype with Zach’s former college roommates one night and my Dad another. Was so good to see faces and hear voices from the ones we love and miss! I cannot tell you how much I am encouraged by emails or facebook messages sent back and forth, as it is right around this time when I’m starting to feel a wee bit homesick. Our Spanish adventures keep us moving every week though, and for this I am grateful! So much to take in with two eyes and two ears! This gift of shared life with so many diverse others causes me to praise our Maker from my heart every day. Don’t even need to live in Europe to realize this.
                                     



1 comment:

  1. I love Amelie! It's one of my favorite movies ever. I'm glad you got to enjoy it too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete