Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mama J's Visit


Mom left Guatemala early this morning, and just like that, it’s back to real life. I’m playing school nurse again today at CAG and have had quite the busy day attending to sore throats, body aches and pains, and owies that need band-aids. It’s so much fun and I truly enjoy the kids here! At lunch time I ran over to Prince of Peace and was very surprised to find my usual bouncing-off-the-walls kindergarten girls acting very… chill. We worked on the project I had planned for the whole entire hour! And they were so gentle and made me laugh so much, my heart melted again and again. I was so proud of them.

Our Spring Break/Mom Visit was SUCH a huge blessing and we did a ton of stuff together! From the time she landed, we were pretty busy showing her around and exploring new places. She adapted extremely well to being in a new country for the first time, as I knew she would. Being able to show her what and who we’ve come to know and love here in Guatemala gave me such joy.

                             She got to see Prince of Peace and meet some of the girls:


                         Did some shopping in the markets in downtown Guatemala City:


                       We visited some cool museums to learn more about the country:



                     
                  We ventured to San Lucas to see the children’s home Melissa works with:




                      Our journey to the jungle and Mayan ruins!!! AWESOMENESS.





                      Melissa showed us how to make Gnocchi one night for supper:


      A trip to the Tracks where we get to go help do ministry with the Bradley family sometimes:


                                Making supper at our sweet friend Gloria’s house:


Took a day trip on Good Friday to Antigua to witness the world’s largest Holy Week processions event 
                            (interestingly enough, in 2nd place is Seville, Spain!):



Sunday we got to take her to the 2 churches we attend, and had lunch with our friends, the Selfs, at a neat restaurant with a gorgeous view of some volcanoes.


On her last day, she got to meet the Doctor and the rest of the wonderful staff at Clínica Salvatore in Palín. Was a blessing to me to be able to show somebody from home the clinic I love so much! 

An unforgettable Spring Break, if you ask me. Thank you Mommio for coming to be with us! It meant so much to Zachary and I, your kids! (Zach’s favorite memory is probably laughing hysterically that one night with you about who knows what…you guys are weird.) You touched a lot of lives in the short time you were here. I see God’s love for you in the way he He orchestrated everything and blessed your visit.


For the hubby and I, we have 3 months behind us and 1 more to go. It’s getting crazy how little time is left. Here’s to 5 more weeks of living with purpose, giving in love, and glorifying our Creator in all we do here in Guate.

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Zach and Kris, i cannot say enough how happy i am because you guys are happy. That doesn't make it any easier missing you.
    I am so glad Momma Menchaca visited you and made good memories with you.
    Know that i cant wait for you both to come back and see what god has in store for you here in America. And where. That will be interesting to see.
    Always in thoughts with you!

    ReplyDelete